Tuesday, November 17, 2015

The Missing Kennedy by Elizabeth Koehler-Pentacoff




I have always been captivated by the Kennedy’s lives and enjoy reading about them.  Knowing what happened to Rosemary has saddened me at times and I wondered what her life would have been like had she not had a lobotomy.  This book is a two-fold story.  It takes you through Rosemary’s life both before and after her operation and it also walks you through the life of Sister Paulus, Rosemary’s caregiver.  I have always thought Joe Kennedy was a hard man, forbidding his family from seeing Rosemary, but I have softened that view a bit now.   

The stigma with mental illness was horrendous in the early part of the 20th century and it is scary to think of all the misdiagnosis and terrible treatment many victims endured.   I really admire that Eunice, Rosemary’s sister, founded the Special Olympics and turned her family’s tragedy into something positive for others.     

Reading about Sister Paulus was intriguing as well.  To have such conviction in knowing what path she wanted her life to take and then taking it is quite admirable.  This was a very interesting read and I recommend it to anyone who is fascinated by other people’s stories.    

Reviewed by Brenda Rodammer

Click here to find this book

No comments:

Post a Comment